THE WALLACE E. CARROLL SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
Operations and Strategic Management Department
MD 09905 Strategy and Policy Spring 1997
D. Fisher, Fultton 426B
552-0453 (office), 964-4076 (home)
Office hours: TTh 9-10:15. Other times by appointment, or drop in
1. Thompson & Strickland, Crafting & Implementing Strategy (6th Edition). Purchase at BC Bookstore.
2. Casebook. Purchase at BC Bookstore ("MD 099 Strategy & Policy Prof Fisher")
Note: Although specific readings are assigned by class session (the "Reading" column below), you should use the Thompson & Strickland book as a reference source throughout the semester. All entries in the READING column are pages to be found in Thompson & Strickland. All items in the CASE column are in the casebook, unless otherwise noted.
Module I: STRATEGY IDENTIFICATION AND EVALUATION
- January 14 Introduction to the course and the strategy concept.
- January 16 Yellowtail Marine 2-21
- January 21 Prelude Corporation - day 1. 516-526, 91-101
- January 23 Prelude Corporation - day 2. 63-73 & "Assessing A Company's Future Financial Strength" (In Casebook)
Module II: ENVIRONMENTAL ANALYSIS
- January 28 Saturn: A Different Kind of Car Co,mpany* 22-57
- January 30 Crown Cork & Seal - day 1 Review 63-73; 73-90
- February 4 Crown Cork & Seal - Day 2* 115-134, 317-323
- February 6 Euro Disney- The first 100 Days*
- February 11 To be announced
- February 13 WAC I report due. The report case will be discussed in class today.
Module III: STRATEGIC ALTERNATIVES AND STRATEGIC CHOICE
Module IV: STRATEGY IMPLEMENTATION
*Designated teams will make presentations on these cases