Publications at Boston College
- Anupam Bandyopadhyay, Samantha Cambray and Jianmin Gao*, “ Fast and selective labeling of N-terminal cysteines at neutral pH via thiazolidino boronate formation. ” Chem. Sci. 2016, (Accepted).
- Anupam Bandyopadhyay and Jianmin Gao*, “ Iminoboronate-based peptide cyclization that responds to pH, oxidation, and small molecule modulators. ” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 2098-2101. PubMed.
- Breanna L. Zerfas, Yechaan Joo and Jianmin Gao*, “Gramicidin A mutants with antibiotic activity against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, ” ChemMedChem 2016, (In press). PubMed
- Anupam Bandyopadhyay and Jianmin Gao*, “Iminoboronate Formation Leads to Fast and Reversible Conjugation Chemistry of α-Nucleophiles at Neutral pH, ” Chem. -Euro. J. 2015, 21, 14748-14752. PubMed
- Breanna L. Zerfas and Jianmin Gao*, “Recent Advances in Peptide Immunomodulators, ” Curr. Top. Med. Chem. 2015, 16, 187-205. PubMed
- Tao He, Anne Gershenson, Stephen J. Eyles, Yan-Jiun Lee, Wenshe R. Liu, Jiangyun Wang, Jianmin Gao, and Mary F. Roberts*, “Fluorinated aromatic amino acids distinguish cation-π interactions from membrane insertion, ” J. Biol. Chem. 2015, 290, 19334-19342. PubMed
- Anupam Bandyopadhyay, Kelly MaCarthy, Mike Kelly and Jianmin Gao*, “Targeting Bacteria via Iminoboronate Chemistry of Amine-Presenting Lipids, ” Nat. Commun. 2015, 6:6561 PubMed
- Azade Hosseini, Hong Zheng and Jianmin Gao*, “Understanding Lipid Recognition by Protein-Mimicking Cyclic Peptides, ” Tetrahedron 2014, 70, 7632-7638. PubMed
- Ya-Juan Wang*, Bamidele O. Tayo, Anupam Bandyopadhyay, Heming Wang, Tao Feng, Nora Franceschini, Hua Tang, Jianmin Gao, Yun Ju Sung, COGENT BP consortium, Robert C. Elston, Scott M. Williams, Richard S. Cooper , Ting-Wei Mu, Xiaofeng Zhu* “The Association of the Vanin-1 N131S Variant with Blood Pressure is Mediated by Endoplasmic-Reticulum-Associated Degradation and Loss of Function, ” PLOS Gent. 2014, 10, e1004641. PubMed.
- Anupam Bandyopadhyay and Jianmin Gao*, “Cancer-targeting peptides, ” Book Chapter 5 in Advances in the discovery and development of peptide therapeutics (Eds.: Kruger G. and Albericio F.); Future Science Ltd., 2014. Link.
- Fang Wang, Luoheng Qin, Patrick Wong and Jianmin Gao*, “Effects of Lysine Methylation on Gramicidin A Folding in Lipid Membranes, ” Biopolymers: Pept. Sci. 2013, 100, 656-61. PubMed
- Lauren K. Regula, Richard Harris, Fang Wang, Jayne F. Koellhoffer, Chelsea D. Higgins, Kartik Chandran, Jianmin Gao, Mark E. Girvin, and Jonathan R. Lai*, “Conformation and Lipid-Binding Properties of Peptides Corresponding to the Ebolavirus GP2 Membrane-Proximal External Region,” Biochem., 2013, 52, 3393-404. PubMed
- Jianmin Gao* and Hong Zheng, “Recent Developments of Peptide-Based Markers of Membrane Lipids,” Future Med. Chem. 2013, 5, 947-59. PubMed
- Christopher Pace and Jianmin Gao*, “Exploring and Exploiting Polar—π Interactions with Fluorinated Aromatic Amino Acids,” Acc. Chem. Res. 2013, 46, 907-15. PubMed
- Christopher Pace, Diane Kim and Jianmin Gao*, “Experimental Evaluation of CH—π Interactions in a Protein Core,” Chem. Euro. J. 2012, 18, 5832-6. PubMed
- Yue Zhao and Jianmin Gao*, “Split Ligand for Lanthanide Binding: Facile Evaluation of Dimerizing Proteins,” Chem. Comm. 2012, 48, 2997-9. PubMed
- Luoheng Qin, Christopher Sheridan and Jianmin Gao*, “Synthesis of Tetrafluorinated Aromatic Amino Acids with Distinct Signatures in 19F-NMR,” Org. Lett. 2012, 14, 528-31. PubMed
- Fang Wang, Luoheng Qin, Christopher J. Pace, Patrick Wong, Ryan Malonis and Jianmin Gao*, “Solubilized Gramicidin A as Potential Systemic Antibiotics,” ChemBioChem 2012, 13, 51-5. PubMed
- Christopher Pace, Hong Zheng, Ruben Mylvaganam, Diane Kim and Jianmin Gao*, “Stacked Fluoroaromatics as Supramolecular Synthons for Programming Protein Dimerization Specificity,” Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 103-7. PubMed
- Hong Zheng, Fang Wang, Qin Wang and Jianmin Gao*, “Cofactor-Free Detection of Phosphatidylserine with Cyclic Peptides Mimicking Lactadherin,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 15280-3. PubMed
- Christopher Pace, Qiongying Huang, Fang Wang, Kanwal S. Palla, Amelia A. Fuller and Jianmin Gao*, “A FlAsH-tetracysteine Assay for Quantifying the Association and Orientation of Transmembrane a-Helices,” ChemBioChem 2011, 12, 1018-22. PubMed
- Fang Wang, Luoheng Qin, Patrick Wong and Jianmin Gao*, “Facile Synthesis of Tetrafluorotyrosine and Its Application in pH Triggered Membrane Lysis,” Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 236-9. This paper is highlighted in the recent virtual issue of ACS on peptide chemistry. See the intro to the virtual issue by Professor Lubell, Org. Lett. 2012, 14, 4297-302. PubMed
- Hong Zheng and Jianmin Gao*, “Highly Specific Heterodimerization Mediated by Quadrupole Interactions,” Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 8635-9. This article was rated as a Very Important Paper. See highlight by Kros et al. “Introducing Quadrupole Interactions into the Peptide Design Toolkit,” Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 8570-2. PubMed
- Luoheng Qin, Julian Vastl and Jianmin Gao*, “Highly Sensitive Amyloid Detection Enabled by Thioflavin T Dimers,” Mol. Biosyst. 2010, 6, 1791-5. PubMed
- Hong Zheng, Kristofer Comeforo and Jianmin Gao*, “Expanding the Fluorous Arsenal: Tetrafluorinated Phenylalanines for Protein Design,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 18-9. PubMed
Publications from Scripps
- Jianmin Gao, Daryl A. Bosco, Evan T. Powers, and Jeffery W. Kelly*, “Localized Thermodynamic Coupling between Hydrogen Bonding and Microenvironment Polarity Significantly Stabilizes Proteins,” Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2009, 16, 684-90.
- Michelle R. Bunagan, Jianmin Gao, Jeffery W. Kelly*, and Feng Gai* “Probing the Folding Transition State Structure of the Villin Headpiece Subdomain via Sidechain and Backbone Mutagenesis,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 7470-6.
- Marcus Jager, Songpon Deechongkit, Edward K. Koepf, Houbi Nguyen, Jianmin Gao, Evan T. Powers, Martin Gruebele, and Jeffery W. Kelly*, “Understanding the Mechanism of b-sheet Folding from a Chemical and Biological Perspective,” Biopolymers 2008, 90, 751-8.
- Jianmin Gao and Jeffery W. Kelly*, “Towards Quantification of Protein Backbone-Backbone Hydrogen Bonding Energies: An Energetic Analysis of an Amide-to-Ester Mutation in an a-Helix within a Protein,” Protein Sci. 2008, 1096-101.
- Yanwen Fu, Jianmin Gao, Jan Bieschke, Maria, A. Dendle, and Jeffery W. Kelly*, “Amide-to-E-Olefin versus Amide-to-Ester Backbone H-Bond Perturbations: Evaluating the Repulsive Lone Pair-Lone Pair interaction for Extracting H-Bond Energies,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 15948-9.
- Yan Zhang, Youngjun Kim, Nicolas Genoud, Jianmin Gao, Jeffery W. Kelly, Samuel L. Pfaff, Gordon N. Gill, Jack E. Dixon, and Joseph P. Noel* “Determinants for Dephosphorylation of the RNA Polymerase II C-terminal Domain by Scp1,” Mol. Cell. 2006, 24, 759-70.
Publications from Stanford
- Sarah K. Jarchow-Choy, Andrew T. Krueger, Haibo Liu, Jianmin Gao and Eric T. Kool*, “Fluorescent xDNA Nucleotides as Efficient Substrates for a Template-independent Polymerase,” Nucleic Acids Res. 2011, 39, 1586-94.
- Haige Lu, Andrew T. Kruger, Jianmin Gao, Haibo Liu and Eric T. Kool*, “Toward a Designed Genetic System with Biochemical Function: Polymerase Synthesis of Single and Multiple Size-Expanded DNA Base Pairs,” Org. Biomol. Chem. 2010, 8, 2704-10.
- James C. Delaney, Jianmin Gao, Haibo Liu, Nidhi Shrivastav, John M. Essigmann* and Eric T. Kool*, “Efficient Replication Bypass of Size-expanded DNA Base Pairs in Bacterial Cells,” Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 4254-7.
- James N. Wilson, Jianmin Gao, and Eric T. Kool*, “Oligodeoxyfluorosides: Strong Sequence Dependence of Fluorescence Emission,” Tetrahedron 2007, 63, 3427-33.
- Stephen R. Lynch, Haibo Liu, Jianmin Gao, and Eric T. Kool*, “Toward a Designed, Functioning Genetic System With Expanded-size Base Pairs: Solution Structure of the 8-Base xDNA Double Helix,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 14704-11 (This work is featured in a Research Highlight in Nature, 2006, 444, 5 and highlighted in the News and Views in Nature, 2006, 444, 554-5).
- “Assembly of the Complete Eight-Base Artificial Genetic Helix, xDNA, and Its Interaction with the Natural Genetic System,” Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2005, 44, 3118-22. (†co first author. This paper is featured in Chemical and Engineering News, 2005, 83, 23.)
- Haibo Liu, Jianmin Gao, and Eric T. Kool*, “Helix-forming Properties of Size-expanded DNA (xDNA), an Alternative Four-base Genetic Form,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2005, 127, 1396-402.
- Haibo Liu, Jianmin Gao, and Eric T. Kool*, “Size-expanded Analogues of dG and dC. Synthesis and Pairing Properties in DNA,” J. Org. Chem. 2005, 70, 639-47.
- Jianmin Gao, Soichiro Watanabe, and Eric T. Kool*, “Modified DNA Analogues That Sense Light Exposure with Color Changes,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 12748-9. (This work is featured in a Research Highlight in Nature Methods 2004, 1, 100-1.)
- Jianmin Gao, Haibo Liu, and Eric T. Kool*, “Expanded-Size Bases in Naturally Sized DNA: Evaluation of Steric Effects in Watson-Crick Pairing,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 12748-9.
- Haibo Liu, Jianmin Gao, Y.David Saito, Lystranne Maynard, Eric T. Kool*, “Toward a New Genetic System with Expanded Dimensions: Size-expanded Analogues of Deoxyadenosine and Thymidine,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004, 126, 1102-9.
- Haibo Liu, Jianmin Gao, Stephen Lynch, Y.David Saito, Lystranne Maynard, Eric T. Kool*, “A Four-base-pair Genetic Helix with Expanded Size,” Science 2003, 302, 868-71. (This paper is reported in Chemical and Engineering News 2003, 81, 3, highlighted in Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2004, 43, 1625-6, and featured in ChemBioChem 2004, 5, 765-7.)
- Jianmin Gao, Christoph Strassler, Deborah Tahmassebi, and Eric T. Kool*, “Libraries of Composite Polyfluors Built from Fluorescent Deoxyribosides,” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2002, 124, 11590-1.